THE AWKWARD MOM

because uncomfortable conversations are the ones worth having

Category: community (page 2 of 3)

Coronavirus: Tips to Talk to Kids

Reading Time: 5 minutes

kids coronavirus family

So maybe like me, you got the automated notice from the school yesterday that your kids–surprise!–have an extra week of spring break next week, because #coronavirus.

And maybe like me, a member of your family braved Costco this week. Or maybe you now possess a weird amount of toilet paper–which according to a meme I saw yesterday, is now the bottom rung of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. read more

2019 Best Posts of the Year!

Reading Time: 3 minutes

2019 best posts of year

Sitting with my daughter yesterday, she expressed she had a little fear for 2020. It’s a big year, she explained, with some personal stuff, plus elections and Olympics and what-not.

My first inclination–in light of how young she is, of course–was to brush away her fear. read more

Who Needs Friendships?

Ever feel like “real” friendships aren’t worth the risk?

Back when I was sporting a baby bump (still in the “Is she chubby or pregnant?” phase)—I found out that my third-born was a girl.

There in my then-testosterone-dominated household, pint-sized males regularly calculated the highest step they could jump from without a trip to the ER. They sprinkled around the sides of the toilet. Children’s books instructed me in terminology for construction equipment I never knew existed. read more

Don’t Waste That Totally Awkward Conflict

fight conflict

I kind of hate conflict. With the exception of my anger issues with my kiddos, conflict tends to sideline me in a head-between-my-knees, breathe-into-a-paper-bag kind of way. It’s super-attractive and mature.

Which is why, when it’s over, part of me would opt to skip away with a “tra-la-la” brand of obliviousness. Maybe I would spring to the beach, where I could bury parts of my body in the warm sand. Preferably my head. read more

Spiritual Life Skills for Kids: Living in Community

Reading Time: 7 minutes

spiritual life skills for kids spiritual disciplines

It’s a disturbing statistic.

A friend quoted me a study cited in Johann Hari’s Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression–and the Unexpected Solutions (please forgive me if it’s misquoted). read more

All There: Tips on Being Fully, Powerfully Present

present presence being there

Ever get that feeling the person in front of you is there-but-not-there?

I’m totally guilty of this–those moments my kids are telling me something and they’re like, “Mom.” Because I’m too often multitasking–probably for their sakes, but still: not present in the moment they care about. read more

12 Prayers for Teachers and Administrators (FREE PRINTABLES)

12 ways to pray teachers

So…I’m guilty of reposting this every year. Because even this morning as I left an absurdly quiet house to go on a jog, I realized I wanted, needed, to pray for these key influencers in my kids’ lives. And I’ve seen them make a tangible difference. (If you’re looking for prayers for your kids, check out this printable–a prayer from Scripture for each day of the month–and this word cloud, which can give you a lot of ideas when you don’t know how to pray).  I originally wrote these for teachers, but they’re just as relevant for the administrators who make so many key decisions in our schools. DOWNLOAD THIS LIST HERE FREE here as a pdf–great for small groups, personal use, parent prayer groups–or this format for church bulletin inserts. I’m hoping it’s a great way to kick off loving on the teachers in our lives and cheering them on throughout the year. Please feel free to share if you find this useful. -Janel

Creativity.

Pray that God will help them engage students in practical, exciting ways that help students become lifelong learners about His world in each subject.

World Refugee Day 2018: Pawad’s Story

A late addition to this post: There’s another step you can take to stand with refugees. Consider signing the UN’s #withrefugees petition here! 

I want to introduce you to my friend Pawad. Pawad is South Sudanese, and he’s from the Dinka tribe. Physically, this means that when Pawad gives me a hug, the top of my head aligns with his armpits. It means that when he smiles with those white-white teeth against his 80% cacao skin, it’s as if someone flipped on a couple hundred watts of electricity. He’s built like a piece of black licorice, limbs long and loose.

Pawad is fully scholarshipped to African Renewal University in Uganda, after which he hopes to become a pastor to his people, many of whom have been traumatized by 35 years of war. Coincidentally, Pawad is also a refugee.

The Stories We Tell Ourselves

Reading Time: 4 minutes

Of all the vibrancy of being in another culture this week, one of my least favorite is the language barrier. It’s as if I’m constantly stopping myself from asking the questions I want to know of people–from relating.

The late neurosurgeon Paul Kalanithi, in his bestselling When Breath Becomes Air, writes of the two areas of speech in the brain: read more

A Good Day

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Today, I woke up in Thailand.

My sister and her husband start their day early on behalf of their community, feeding a bunch of kids breakfast so they can grow up strong. The food is cooked by an amazing local Burmese woman with a heart even bigger than her industrial-sized rice cooker.

« Older posts Newer posts »

© 2024 THE AWKWARD MOM

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons